For Immediate Onsite or Remote Support

earthquake shake table ppt

Seismic Waves and Earth''s Interior PPT Name: Period: …

2016-2-28 · by an earthquake are called seismic waves. The prefix comes from the ancient Greek word "seismos" which means "to shake". Many earthquakes happen at the borders of tectonic plates. There is a large amount of geologic activity and movement along the borders of these plates. That activity builds stress and creates earthquakes.2005 National Building Code of Canada Seismic Design ...2018-1-11 · • Earthquakes are rare events, the design event has a 2% probability of exceedance in 50 years. That is, in an assumed 50 year building life, there is a 98% chance that the building will not experience an earthquake of this magnitude in its design life. • Therefore design only for life safety, not asset protection, the building may be

PowerPoint Presentation

2018-7-9 · Materials : 20 strands of uncooked spaghetti 1 m. masking tape 1 m. kite string Scissors Ruler Meter Stick 12" square of cardboard (build & move tower) Earthquake "Shake" Table Option: Substitute 30 mini-marshmallows for 1 m. of masking tape Design The Tallest Earthquake Proof Spaghetti Tower Challenge Types Of Waves Longitudinal Wave ...Earthquakes presentation Teacher''s Notes2019-1-17 · earthquake, the more energy released and the bigger the earthquake [s magnitude. An earthquake with a large magnitude will make the Earth [s surface shake more and usually cause more damage than a smaller magnitude earthquake. • As well as working out how big an earthquake is geologists also need to work out where an earthquake has struck.

EARTHQUAKE PROBLEM: Do''s and Don''ts for Protection

2019-9-12 · THE SHAKE TABLE The shaking effects of an earthquake can be simulated in the laboratory. The shaking is generated and controlled either mechanically or through a computer. Small models of structures or sophisticated equipment can be tested on shaking tables. Such tests give useful information about capability of structures orEARTHQUAKE SAFETY PROCEDURES - Lawrence Berkeley …2008-7-29 · EARTHQUAKE SAFETY PROCEDURES ... o Get under a sturdy table, desk or bed. ... is an excellent shock absorber and will shake a lot on its springs during an earthquake, but it''s a fairly safe shelter from which to assess your situation. • Avoid Fallen Power Lines. The possibility of encountering fallen live wires is great during

PowerPoint Presentation

2007-6-14 · Shake Tables NSF – DUE/CCLI Funding Obtained (DUE Grant No. 9950340 – Aug 1999) Consortium became operational summer 2000 under direction of Shirley Dyke Project Description Project Description Develop and share "hands-on" experiments for earthquake eng. Identical equipment at each site Experiment sharing through the web Objectives ...ShakeOut Public Presentation - Great ShakeOut …2011-6-27 · * TRIANGLE OF LIFE: Bottom photo is a school in Mexico City. The floors collapsed in the 1985 earthquake, but the tables held up the concrete slabs. Triangle of Life says that buildings always collapse and crush tables, so be next to the table so you''ll be in a "triangle of life". As the picture shows, this just isn''t true.

Shake Table Testing of Unreinforced and Reinforced Soil …

2012-9-4 · Dimensions: 36" x 12" x 12" Side View Sketch of Chamber Top View Sketch of Chamber Unreinforced Slope Tests Test #1 and #2 We placed the chamber full of sand with a critical slope onto a shake table The test was then conducted by shaking the chamber at a frequency of 1 and 2 Hz and we steadily increased the amplitude We then recorded at ...Earthquakes presentation Teacher''s Notes2019-1-17 · earthquake, the more energy released and the bigger the earthquake [s magnitude. An earthquake with a large magnitude will make the Earth [s surface shake more and usually cause more damage than a smaller magnitude earthquake. • As well as working out how big an earthquake is geologists also need to work out where an earthquake has struck.

Seismic & Earthquake Vibration Testing Solutions | DP

Another recent earthquake test is the ICC-ES AC156 test that defines the "Acceptance Criteria for Seismic Certification by Shake-Table Testing of Nonstructural Components." Earthquake tests are done with hydraulic excitation due to the low frequency, high displacement requirements.2005 National Building Code of Canada Seismic Design ...2018-1-11 · • Earthquakes are rare events, the design event has a 2% probability of exceedance in 50 years. That is, in an assumed 50 year building life, there is a 98% chance that the building will not experience an earthquake of this magnitude in its design life. • Therefore design only for life safety, not asset protection, the building may be

Shake Things Up: Engineering Earthquake-Resistant …

2020-3-24 · buildings from being damaged during an earthquake? Adventure 4: Getting Braces Kids engineer ways to stop their buildings from changing shape during a test on the shake table. Unit Map Adventure 5: Creating an Earthquake-Resistant Building Groups plan, create, and test their buildings on the shake table. Adventure 6: Improving an Earthquake-LESS PLA: D Shae Tale - The Tech2021-4-4 · 1. Begin by reminding students of the shake table used in the Engineering for Earthquakes—the table was able to move up and down as well as side to side to properly simulate an earthquake. 2. Student teams will be designing and constructing their own shake table to further simulate their own earth-quakes. 3.

EARTHQUAKE PROBLEM: Do''s and Don''ts for Protection

2019-9-12 · THE SHAKE TABLE The shaking effects of an earthquake can be simulated in the laboratory. The shaking is generated and controlled either mechanically or through a computer. Small models of structures or sophisticated equipment can be tested on shaking tables. Such tests give useful information about capability of structures orShakeMap - USGS Earthquake Hazards ProgramShakeMap is a product of the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program in conjunction with the regional seismic networks. ShakeMaps provide near-real-time maps of ground motion and shaking intensity following significant earthquakes. These maps are used by federal, state, and local organizations, both public and private, for post-earthquake response and ...

Modes of Building Failure

2005-5-4 · Arial Default Design Modes of Building Failure Connections between failure modes observed in shake table testing of models in building contest and earthquake damage to actual buildings Slide 2 Slide 3 Slide 4 Soft first story failure Soft first story failure Slide 7 Building shifted off foundation Slide 9 Bending Bending Inadequate connection ...Slide 12012-9-6 · The photographs were taken from underneath the [email protected] shake table to document the table''s infrastructure. Figure 9: View of nadir without tripod Figure 10: View of Conclusion Spherical panoramas can be used for fast, efficient earthquake reconnaissance as well as documentation of labs and test procedures.

Engineering Adventures

2020-3-24 · Bernard wants to help us engineer earthquake-resistant buildings and write our own building codes based on what we find out. Will you join our engineering team? First, we need a way to model an earthquake. Bernard uses something called a shake table. We sent you instructions so you can build your own shake table and try it out. LetSeismic Waves and Earth''s Interior PPT Name: Period: …2016-2-28 · by an earthquake are called seismic waves. The prefix comes from the ancient Greek word "seismos" which means "to shake". Many earthquakes happen at the borders of tectonic plates. There is a large amount of geologic activity and movement along the borders of these plates. That activity builds stress and creates earthquakes.